Sunday, March 13, 2011

The vet

I have been taking Patty and Isabelle to the same vets office for over 12 years. Patty was the first and then two years later Isabelle joined her, and then Reuben two years ago. They didn't particularly care to go, especially Isabelle because she has had so many surgeries on her ears. Patty on the other hand would bark at all the little creatures and scare them, she didn't mind going there most of the time and they loved her. Isabelle shakes and quivers for fear she will be poked at and then be sedated for an ear cleaning!!! I enjoyed loading my girls up in the car to take them for their check ups. Patty loved car rides, the mention of it and her ears would perk up in excitement, she knew exactly what that meant!!! Reuben of course does not care to be loaded into the carrier and has the typical Siamese behavior when we get there.


I inherited my parents Yorkies and they are different from my dogs. Patty was always underfoot with me, very attached. I never had to call her over to me because, well, she was right there. Isabelle is now very protective of me and sits next to me, pressed into my leg, guarding me. From what? Those little annoying yorkies that she tolerates but will not play with. She used to play with Patty all the time until my Patty wasn't really able to at the end, but they would sleep together. Poor Patty, she was so furry and Isabelle had to be right up her ass, literally. I felt bad for my baby when she did that, I could only just imagine how hot she would get with that forty pound body almost on top of her. But she didn't try to move or shoo Isabelle away. Patty was a 75-80 lb. dog with a thick sable and white coat. She tolerated everyone and everything, she was a wonderful dog!! The best. She had a special relationship with our cat Reuben. He loved Patty, would lay with her all the time, drink water with her, and was always respectful of her. Reuben didn't play with Patty the way he does with Isabelle but I really consider it torture more than play because Isabelle is afraid of him. It's ridiculous, the cat does not have any front claws, Isabelle is a chicken killer, and she cowers when the cat goes after her. Whimpers even. He also likes to stalk her, rubbing his face up against the edge of the coffee table maniacally, watching her with his crossed blue eyes, not letting her know when the pounce will take place. They do however live in harmony with one another and sometimes Isabelle initiates the playing. 


Yes, Isabelle is a chicken killer. Where we live there are wild chickens and roosters. If they so happen to be in the back yard when we let her out I hope they flee as quickly as they can!! She has over a dozen chicken kills and yes unfortunately, baby chicks as well. One day she managed to escape from the confines of our back yard and killed at least three more chickens on two of my neighbours properties. And the noise that they make.....poor things. When she was finished she would come speeding up to the house, chicken feathers hanging form her mouth and stuck in her fur, very proud of herself. So, to my amazement, she is afraid of Reuben. Maybe that has to do with the fact that when Reuben goes to attack her, he has swatted her in the ears and that is a sore source for her. 


Yung Kenni and Yoonis are the latest addition to the household. They are father and son. Yung Kenni still has puppy qualities even though he is thirteen years old. Eunice is an abnormally large yorkie, yes he is a pure breed, weighing at one point in time 16 lbs. He looks like Chewbacca with gray hair. He is also a little trouble maker. Yung Kenni on the other hand is a very laid back dog but has a very annoying habit. If it appears to him that you are in his way of getting on the couch or there is another animal blocking his way, instead of going around them or finding an alternate way, he barks at you. He just sits there and barks. You can try to ignore him, but he just doesn't get that message, so you have to walk over to him, pick him up and place him in the destination he wants to be in. He also has a delayed reaction when it comes to participating in the barking that Isabelle and Eunice will do if they hear the slightest movement outside. These two are the protectors of the house and Isabelle has a hard time sharing that role so if Eunice gets out of hand she will attack him. Lord. Give me strength. So, after those two are finished barking like crazy maniacs, Yung Kenni does his part by adding in a very non threatening bark approximately two to three minutes after the chaos has subsided. And it is always chaos.....they hear a car horn or someone knocking on the door, coming from the TV set mind you, and they go into a frenzy. I don't even bother rewinding to catch what I missed because it will start all over again. Reuben does not care for all of this noise and he chirps at them when they get crazy....my poor cat and his sensitive little ears. I live in a zoo. 


Yung Kenni and Yoonis can only tolerate a little bit of loving, they really aren't snuggle animals. This is difficult for me, my animals love to be loved on. So I am a little concerned and hope that they are content and happy. Remember, I was just a visitor to their house when I went to my parents so I really didn't think much when they would run and greet us, scratch your legs up if you had on shorts, get loved on and then be on their happy way. Now that they are with me full time it worries me. Are they happy? Do they trust that I will protect them and take care of them? Do they know that I love them as much as my other animals? I received my answer on Saturday when Yung Kenni had to visit the vets.


Dr. Kue is wonderful. He and his wife both take care of everyones precious little animals but to be honest, I don't care for her so I always ask for him. He was so gentle with Patty in the end and was very compassionate with us. He truly loves animals and displays this with everyone. On Friday while I was driving home the car became thick with Patty's smell, out of no where. It was intoxicating and it made me very sad. I miss her every day and this past week was particularly hard, not sure why. So this time, I was the one dreading the vets office. 


We arrived for our appointment and weighed Yung Kenni in. I requested not to be put in room number four and sat with Yung Kenni in the front waiting room so I wouldn't have to look at that dreaded blue door. A lot of  little dogs being looked at that day and one big orange fat cat. Yung Kenni is a hot mess. He needs to have his winter coat shaved off but right now he is having a serious skin issue. He constantly scratches and chews. His skin get red hot and he is loosing hair around his eyes. We get called back by this very petite vets assistant. She has annoyed me already because she keeps calling him Kenni, even though I have corrected her, I give up. Also, she is using this ridiculous baby voice with him. There really is no need for this, why can't people speak to animals normally instead of using this annoying high pitched, baby voice. I should train them to bite when people do this. Hmmmm...then again, that would be bad so I will just stare daggers at her while she does this. She leaves, Dr. Kue enters, thank God. He inspects Yung Kenni and lets me know that this is allergies but he has wonderful teeth for his age, so I pop the question. What is the life span for a Yorkie? Mid teens. I don't like this answer. He is already Thirteen. And I love this dog, always have because he is my family, but I am not ready to loose another animal at least not for another five to ten years. I dismiss this thought quickly, I am tired of preparing myself for the passing of loved ones. 


The annoying assistant enters again, clippers in hand, and sets Yung Kenni up on the table to have his nails clipped. He does not care for this at all. I kept petting his head, telling him he was o.k. while she spoke to him in that baby voice, and all of a sudden I see something I have never seen him do.....he was bearing his teeth. His nose wrinkled up and those pearly whites were showing. I will admit I was a little bit shocked. Was he showing his aggression because he didn't care to get his nails trimmed or that she was annoying the shit out of him with that squeaky voice that hurt my own ears? On a couple of nails I am sure she was too close to the quick because he whined, I know she hurt my baby. My protective instincts kicked in and when the front paws were complete I scooped him up from her and held him close to me. He couldn't get close enough to me and felt like he was trying to put his body into mine. It was confirmed at that moment for me, he might not want to be loved on all the time, he makes me chase him and then plays dead dog when I want to pet him, but he trusts me completely and knows I will protect him from this little bitty highly annoying vets assistant. But, the job must be completed and now it is time for the back paws. She ends up taking him to the back because he decided to bite me to get free. This didn't deter the fact that not just two seconds ago he was clinging to me for dear life, I have confirmation now that he loves me and trusts me. 


I just wish he was more cuddly!!!! Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment